Sea Cliff Nutrition Committee. The Apple People

Sea Cliff Nutrition Committee. The Apple People

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gluten Free and Loving it!

We have recently adjusted our diets based on the recommendations of a Doctor we are working with to increase our health and well being.  We no longer eat gluten (I have been Gluten Free for years but now my family is joining for their own reasons) dairy, casein or refined sugar.   

With a little preparation and foresight we are able to indulge in almost any type of food we wish.  I keep a well stocked larder at home with various grains which can be turned into flour, dried fruits and nuts and dried beans and legumes.  We make our own baked goods with protein rich flours such as chick pea, brown rice, coconut and Quinoa.    

There are many wonderful resources for special diets,  but I wanted to share a few that have become a part of my daily life.

BabyCakes NYC-- www.babycakesnyc.com
The Flying Apron Bakery Cookbook-- www.flyingapron.com
http://radishboy.blogspot.com

You can link to these and other sites of interest on the links list on the bottom right hand corner of this blog.

This morning I made a coconut bunt cake for my fathers 64th birthday.  I'm going to see if he can detect the absence of sugar, gluten and dairy.  He was raised in a gregarious food centric Italian home, so his flavor receptors are pretty sensitive and he doesn't generally opt for "health food".

I'll post a photo after I ice the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment